Why it is Important for Children to have Positive Social and Emotional Skills
Social Emotional Learning
- Social and emotional development is a child’s ability to understand the feelings of others, control his or her own feelings and behaviors, get along with other children, and build relationships with adults.
- In order for children to develop the basic skills they need such as cooperation, following directions, demonstrating self-control and paying attention, they must have social-emotional skills.
- Positive social and emotional skills is important throughout life and can have an impact on how children function at home, school and in the community.
- When young children are faced with social, emotional or behavioral challenges it can impact their chances for school success and healthy relationships.
- A child’s positive relationship with trusting and caring adults is the key to successful emotional and social development.
Too Good Curriculum
Too Good puts social and emotional learning to work through fun and interactive lessons, building the self-confidence young people need to make healthy choices and achieve success.
- Lessons build a foundation of skills and knowledge to prepare students to resist problem behaviors
- Prevention education is a coordinated effort by the school, the family, and the community
- Too Good curriculum available from Kindergarten through high school
- When community leaders reinforce positive norms, the message is even stronger!